Why the Per capita Paradox?
• The relative GDP growth does not fully correspond with relative per capita growth,
• This can be explained by population growth trends in the past 15 years in the East African region.
• Tanzania’s population has increased at a faster rate compared to the other selected countries (World Bank, 2013).
• Indeed, while Tanzania’s population grew by 20% in the period, Uganda’s only grew by 9.7%. Population growth in Kenya was even less, at 3.8% over the past 15 years. Interestingly, in the same period, the population of Ethiopia grew by -9.7%
Poverty trends in Tanzania
• It will take another 40 years (with same impressive growth) to wipe out absolute poverty in Tanzania
Download: Claritas International 2018_2019 Budget Review Presentation